If you are thinking of buying a computer for your child, it is important that you take into account the useful advice that we offer you below.
If you plan to offer a gift to your little one, know that not everything has the same value. For this reason, we are going to give you some indications so that you know how to choose the first computer for your child and achieve all your goals.
It is a considerable investment, but one that can be very useful. It is therefore necessary to think carefully before taking the plunge. But do not despair! In this article, we’ll make it easy for you. Stay with us!
Putting technology on our side
Technology can make you doubt the real benefits it provides to your children. Nevertheless, we must be aware that at the moment, it occupies a large part of our lives and has become essential.
In our current society, digital life has been consolidated and even the mastery of technologies has become a fundamental skill to be able to follow all school learning. Although there are still education and health experts who support the importance of limiting screen access in childhoodit is necessary to consider the pros and cons and find a balance.
It is of course important to have certain limits on the use of these devices, but one should not think that they are bad all the time in themselves. In this sense, it is essential that parents monitor what their children consume on the networks so that the time they spend in front of the screen is constructive.
The first thing you need to know before buying a device
When the child begins to use technology, it is good for parents to take into account a series of tips to ensure better use of it. So, before buying an electronic device, you should consider the following aspects:
- The age of the child. Ideally, you shouldn’t introduce your child to the digital world before the age of 12.
- The place of use. It is preferable that the computer is not in his room, but rather in a common family room. In this way, in addition to allowing you to do active parental controls, you avoid prolonged and excessive use of the screen.
- The purpose of the device. Although computers perform many functions, the ideal is to find a balance between school duties, leisure activities and other functions.
- Basic computer skills your child has. You can introduce your child to the world of computers with private lessons or by teaching it yourself. Thus, he will be able to move from one user level to another in no time.
Is it better to buy a new computer or to recycle a used computer?
It really depends on what budget you have or what you want to do with it. Being your child’s first computer, it may be better to recycle an old device that you have kept and give it a little more life, or even buy a used one. Of course, you will need to be able to use a good internet connection and that the bit rate is acceptable for the intended use.
If you choose to recycle an old computer, you must format it and leave only the basic tools for use, with those for parental controls correctly installed.
Things to Consider When Buying a Computer
If you want to buy a second-hand device, you must ensure that it is in good condition and that it is working properly. Never take it home and never pay without trying it first. In addition, the ideal is that you ask for a guarantee in case, when you use it at home, it stops working.
In case you want to buy a new one, you have to make sure that it is a good device with a good price-performance ratio. For this, you must take into account some important points:
- Determine if you want whether it is a computer desktop or laptop.
- Whether the computer has a good level of security.
- Let it be sustainable and that the battery is in good condition (in the case of the laptop).
- That it fulfills the objectives for which you acquired the product.
Find an ideal computer for your child’s needs
When buying the first computer for your child, ideally you should not spend too much money since it will be the device that will introduce him to the digital world. The child is likely to learn from his successes and failures with him. Keep in mind that, especially if it is a small child, he will be less careful than a more experienced user. And that’s normal.
In the market there are cheap, simple and good quality options. You will surely know how to make good use of technology and your child will be able to start in the best way in the world of computing.